Deadline for Application: 8 October 2017
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts — to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. Our three main goals are: the eradication of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition; the elimination of poverty and the driving forward of economic and social progress for all; and, the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, including land, water,
air, climate and genetic resources for the benefit of present and future generations.
“Promoting Sustainable Biomass Energy Production and Modern Bio-Energy Technologies” is a project jointly implemented with Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) jointly with the Sri Lanka Sustainable Energy Authority (SEA). The goal of the project is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the use of fossil fuel for thermal energy generation in the Sri Lanka industrial sector. The goal will be reached by means of removing barriers to the realization of sustainable biomass plantations, increase of market share of biomass energy generation mix and adoption of biomass-based energy technologies in Sri Lanka. .
The project is expected to generate global benefits in directly avoided greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of almost 252 kilotons of CO2 due to switching from fossil fuels to wood-based technologies (over the lifetime of 10 years) and almost 756-1,432 ktCO2 as indirect emission reduction impact.
Job Title: Fuelwood Production Economics Expert
Duty Station: Colombo
Duration: 50 Days over 4 Months
Remuneration: SB 4
The National Consultant will conduct subsidy model for biomass and draft a subsidy policy / formula to be presented to the government policy makers (taking into account the biomass pricing, standards, land type and also be compared with benefits and income of growing biomass with other main agricultural crops. This also will include following general objectives;
• Investigate and provide information on development of fuelwood subsidy reforms in the country, best practices in the region and other part of the world
• Study and analyse the possibility of incorporating fuelwood species into possible subsidy/promotional schemes with the existing terms and conditions stipulated by the financial institutes in the Country
• Recommend criteria for fair subsidy or promotional schemes for promotion of biomass growing/production considering both supply and demand side attributes of fuelwood industry
• Advanced university degree in (for Consultants) / University degree (for PSA) in economics or a related field
• 8 years of relevant experience in economic analysis of issues in forestry/agricultural development or related
• Working knowledge of English and Sinhala or Tamil
Interested candidates can download detailed Terms of Reference from:
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete
your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications
date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
- Sunday Observer – 2017.09.24
- Government jobs
- we give information under more categories in this website . They are educational, Job vacancies , Courses and tenders. All information are given through newspapers , Gazette and internet . Main ownership of these information is belonged to the website .All Publications and Notifications posted here are taken from official sources.With the purpose of ready information availability to Sri Lankans.